Tips for Making a Healthy Casserole for Breakfast
A casserole is a meal cooked and served in the same pan. Simply put, it is a dish that took the name of the pan in which it was cooked. A metal casserole is usually used while cooking in an open stove pan or ceramic one is used if baked. There is greater awareness among people as to how food affects us physically and mentally. Eating whatever you find in the pantry or the fridge is no longer a healthy option. People are also learning about the significance of our first meal of the day. Casserole also gives you and your family a break from the monotony from eating the traditional toasts, cereal, eggs, or some protein with juice for breakfast. It is a one-pot meal that is a combination of a protein source (meat or veggies) with a broth, and it uses garnishes of sauces, herbs, and spices. A casserole is slow cooked, and this technique allows the dish to soak in all the flavors. While planning for a casserole breakfast, there are a few pointers that can help you.
- Whole grain: Make a gradual change to whole grain and whole grain flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Superfoods: To boost your immune system, you can use superfoods like spinach, kale, and chia seeds.
- Vegetables: Fresh, locally-grown vegetables or green vegetables from your garden or supermarket can add volume and nutrition to your casserole.
- Meat: Instead of fatty protein or processed meat, you can add chicken, turkey or tuna to make a healthy casserole for breakfast.
- Carbohydrates: Reduce carbohydrates and add more fibrous food.
- Sugar: If you are making a sweet casserole for breakfast, you can replace sugar with honey or natural sweeteners. You can also try to use as many fruits and berries as possible.
- Time: If you don’t have enough time to make a casserole for breakfast in the morning, you can make it in the evening. Another alternative is to make large portions on the weekend to save time.
- Herbs and sauces: Flavor your casserole with fresh sauces, herbs, and spices. Store-bought sauces can be high on sugar and preservatives.
- Vegan casseroles: For a vegan diet, use almond or coconut milk instead of dairy products.
If you are looking for casserole dishes, Emile Henry, Pyrex®, Neoflam, Le Creuset, Lodge, Fiesta are some of the top brands in the country that you can choose from. Have fun cooking some healthy casseroles for breakfast.